Today, I have a change of plans. Who would like to join my for a ProvoCraft/Cricut BOYCOTT?
Add your name to the boycott list by leaving a comment at the bottom of this this post!
I have a LOVE/ HATE relationship with their company: LOVE some of their products, HATE pretty much every business decision they make. I am a firm believer of companies with a conscience and Cricut has not lived up to my expectations.
Why, you ask? Oh, let me count the ways in which PC has thoroughly disappointed some of its most loyal (i.e. those of us who have spent THOUSANDS on their products) consumers:
- A high-priced Cricut Imagine that does not work out of the box as it was promised to work (we get the "updates are coming in the future" and many months after the Imagine hit the market, the updates STILL don't do everything that was promised at the Imagine launch).
- The inability to unlink cartridges from the Gypsy. Once your cartridges are linked, you have to sell them WITH your Gypsy if you ever want to get rid of either one.
- The numerous problems with the Gypsy and how it didn't work properly right out of the box.
- Numerous complaints of Imagine machines just dieing and having to be replaced. Some people have had to wait months for the machines to be replaced even though they all should have been working out of the box.
- A high-priced Circle club that has not delivered what was promised to its members (can anyone say SCAM??)
- Lack of customer service and lack of communication.
- Heavy moderation of their forum so that ANYONE who says even the slightest things negative towards their company is moderated and/or banned.
- Raising their prices to their retailers PER cartridge anywhere from $5 more to $27 more for EACH cartridge!
- Allegedly stealing the Cake idea from a cake designer who pioneered the idea. She was sharing the idea long long before they ever had the cake machine and she was not given proper credit or compensation for her work. More details: http://deseretdesigns.com/rich_text_1.html
- Allegedly stealing SVG files and other artwork from other designers online.
- Stealing the idea of a Cricut magazine from the makers of "The Bug Magazine", rather than working with them, they shot the idea down, stole their magazine name and gave them nothing in return.
- Allegedly stealing their new logo design from "The Bug Magazine" people.
- Failing to follow through on their Cake promotion (buy the cake, get two cartridges of your choice for free) many people have complained that after MONTHS of waiting, they received the wrong cartridges and PC's only excuse is "we ran out". . . HELLO?! PC freaking MAKES the cartridges!
- When the Cricut original machine was first announced, it was promised to be exclusive to NON mega-chains and then the smaller stores NEVER got their orders. And the big box stores DID get to sell the Cricut and had sales that the smaller stores couldn't compete with.
- And the final straw for me is their lawsuits against so called "third-party" software companies (not that I believe they have much of a legal foot to stand on for most of what they claim, but I think they can simply squish the competitors because they have LOTS of money that we gave them!)
Let's show PC that being ridiculously greedy and alienating their consumers is NOT OK and let's hit them where it hurts -their pocketbook! Who is with me?!?
What I am pledging in my boycott:
*No purchasing anything made by ProvoCraft, including the Cricut Imagine, Cricut Expression, Cricut Create, Cricut Cake, or Cricut Cartridges, or Cuttlebug stuff. . .
There are plenty of alternatives to their machine so I don't NEED them for my crafty fun. I am going to spend my crafty money somewhere I feel is better deserving of my money.
PS. . . I just want to add that I will continue to USE what I already have, but I am going to be putting a disclaimer on EVERY.SINGLE.POST of mine that contains any reference to Cricut. That is going to be my project for next week!
Here is my little disclaimer that you are going to find:
**I am on a ProvoCraft/Cricut Boycott! They won't get another dime from me! Got a Cricut? Well use it! Don't have one yet? Consider a different machine!! Click here for more details about my boycott and how I got here!!**
EDITED TO ADD: I have been "suspended" from the PC message board :O)
And I found this interesting little tidbit... so keep on using those Cricut machines ladies and gents! You can buy your comsumables from someone else and not give PC another dime!
"For those wishing to boycott a bullying company, you should be aware that Gazelle mats and blades work with the E. Blade holders, blades, and embossing, engraving, etching, and pen tools for the Pazzles Inspiration also work with the bugs. Don't support bullies!"